NEW VINEYARD — A home at 92 Lake St. sustained minimal damage from an apparent electrical fire late Wednesday morning, officials said. There were no injuries.

Celena Fletcher said her fiance, Sean Faris, came home for lunch and noticed smoke coming from the upper portion of the ranch-style house. The couple got their children, Damien, nearly 3, and Vee, nearly 1, out of the house.

“I told Damien to get his boots and jacket,” Fletcher said, but she forgot to get his Halloween costume. Fletcher’s mother came to get the children, she said.

The couple was renting the house from Greg Parlin, New Vineyard Fire Chief Doug Churchill said. The house is insured but the couple had no renters insurance, he said.

About 20 firefighters from New Vineyard, Farmington, Strong and Industry responded to a report of smoke coming from an attic vent at the house.

Churchill said that from the firefighters he talked to the fire is believed to have been electrical and started in the ceiling. Firefighters tore down some of the ceiling to get at the fire. They hauled a black tarp full of blown-in insulation and dumped it in the side yard away from the house.

There was minimal structural damage, Churchill said.

He said he believed the family would stay with relatives until the house is repaired.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: