GORHAM — One reign ended Monday, while another continued.

After eight years as Class A indoor track and field champion, the Scarborough Red Storm girls’ track team finished a distant ninth behind new champion Bangor High School. The Scarborough boys, on the other hand, earned their third consecutive Class A crown by rallying late in the day at the University of Southern Maine.

The day was filled with surprises. Alex Nichols of Brunswick set a state record in the 400-meter dash and added a win in the 200 despite running on a sprained ankle. Lewiston’s Mohamed Barre, also running on a sprained ankle, captured the title in the two-mile run.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the day was Cony’s Lindsey Folsom’s inability to clear a height in the pole vault. Hoping to go for a state record, the 2012 state champion’s chosen starting height proved to be out of her reach. Her “no-height” opened the door for Bangor. The Rams took the top three spots, with Courtney Lizotte’s 10-foot vaulting leading the way, and had four girls score a total of 27 points in the event. The Rams finished with 70.5 points to eke out the team win over runner-up Thornton (70 points) and third-place Bonny Eagle (68).

Edward Little was the top area team in the girls’ event. The Red Eddies scored 24 points to place eighth.

The top three teams went into the final event with the same number of points. Thornton had the second-seeded time heading into the 800-meter relay. For the second consecutive year, the Trojans went into the relay event needing to score in order to win a state title. This time they finished 12th while both Bangor and Bonny Eagle failed to score as well.

“It’s amazing,” said Bangor coach Jaime Jarvis of the school’s first indoor title. “It’s such an amazing victory. We finally broke the door down. It’s still surreal. We didn’t start off with good luck. We had bus trouble on the way down, but our luck changed once we got here.”

Grace MacLean paced the Rams with three individual state titles — in the long jump (17-5¾), high jump (5-2) and the 55-meter hurdles (8.43 seconds).

Teal Jackson of Brewer was also a three-event winner. She was victorious in all three sprint races.

Edward Little’s Lexi Clavet turned in a fifth-place finish in the long jump before winning the triple jump with a personal-best 35-feet, 6¾-inches. Freshman teammate Ashley Joyner came in second.

“I’ve been stuck in the 34s for a few months now,” Clavet said. “It seems like seasons after seasons. It’s so exciting to get out of the 34s. I’ve never had consistent runs. Today I was very consistent in getting my mark on the board.”

Edie Pallozzi of Deering set a state record in the 800 with her time of 2:17.

Scarborough boys storm to title

Scarborough used a 1-2 finish in the pole vault by Greg Viola and Alec James late in the day to overtake Cheverus by a 61-57 margin. Lewiston was third with 36 points, while Edward Little placed fourth with 34 points.

Barre had apparently sprained his ankle while washing dishes two nights before the state meet. He wasn’t sure he was going to run until Monday morning. After running with EL’s Lucas Bourget, who finished second, for much of the race, the senior sprinted the final two laps in severe pain to win going away.

“I was in a lot of pain,” Barre said. “I just wanted to push through and I took it home.”

The Blue Devils also received second-place finishes by Hassan Mohamed in the 55-meter dash and the 200.

Edward Little’s Connor Harris won both the high (6-2) and triple jumps (44-10¾) for the second year in a row. He missed out on scoring in the long jump after faulting on his three attempts during the second flight of the event.

“I felt really good,” Harris said. “In the past years I’ve had some injuries. This year was my time to show up and be really prepared.”

Bourget also added a third-place finish in the mile.

Mt. Blue’s Justin Tracy won the mile run in a time of 4:26. Scarborough’s Robert Hall passed Tracy down the back stretch of the bell lap, but the Mt. Blue senior caught him and overtook him on the far turn.

“I didn’t want to lose,” said Tracy. “I have a lot of people down her supporting me and I didn’t want to go home in second place.”

As the two began sprinting the final 50 meters, Tracy held a slight lead before pulling away from the fading Hall.

“I thought he was going to blow by me any second,” Tracy said.

The Cheverus boys set a state record in the 800-meter relay, while Noble’s Ethan Beaulier tied the state record in the 55-meter dash.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.