LINCOLN —  A man who committed suicide on Interstate 95 on March 11 told police during the standoff leading up to his death that he killed Lawrence Lewis of Molunkus Township because the convicted sex offender was molesting children, court documents show.

Bruce Neal, aka Bruce King, told Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputy Patty McLaughlin shortly before he shot himself with a .30-30 rifle that he forced Lewis to swallow two bottles of nitroglycerin and one bottle of “psych meds,” according to a search warrant affidavit released Wednesday at Lincoln District Court.

“King told Deputy McLaughlin that he killed Lawrence Lewis. King said he had reported Lewis for molesting children and no one was doing anything,” the affidavit states.

A state police spokesman said he “lacked specifics” on whether King, 59, had made any report to authorities about Lewis or whether police were investigating Lewis for any recent sex offense.

The 68-year-old Lewis was on the state’s sex offender registry for life after having been convicted in 1996 of sexually assaulting a 9-year-old boy who lived in the same household, according to Bangor Daily News archives.

State police found Lewis’ body in his Macwahoc Road residence the evening of March 11. Investigators await a report from the Maine State Medical Examiner’s Office on the cause of Lewis’ death, said Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The determination could take months, McCausland has said.

“The investigation into this entire incident is not over and a key factor in that is conclusions from the medical examiner’s office,” McCausland said Wednesday.

State police typically investigate sex offenses such as child molestation based on accusations reported directly to them or referrals from other agencies.

Though most often referred to as Bruce King, the man who committed suicide also had several aliases, including Bruce Heal, state police have said. It was unclear Wednesday whether Neal was an additional alias or a misspelling in the affidavit.

Heal or King was involved in a four-hour standoff with police on March 11 that began when officers pulled over the U-Haul truck that his wife of 10 days, Lynda Dube, was driving and in which he was riding.

She fled the U-Haul truck after police pulled them over just south of Exit 227 near Lincoln.

Dube, 43, of Mattawamkeag, divorced William Fogg in February and changed back to her maiden name, according to court documents filed in Penobscot County. State police have identified Dube as Lynda Fogg.

According to the search warrant affidavit, Dube told police that officers pulled them over after the couple had left the River View Motel. King and Dube had been there to collect money for a prepaid reservation they were not going to use.

They had stayed at the River View two nights before but spent March 10 at the Gateway Motel in Medway because it was dog friendly, the affidavit states.

King saw a police officer “and he started to freak out. King held a gun to Fogg and told her to keep driving or he would kill her,” the affidavit states. Dube told investigators that “King had said in the past on several occasions that King was going to kill Lewis.”

“King knew that Lewis was molesting children,” the affidavit states.

Dube and King had been living with Lewis until about three weeks before Lewis’ death, when Lewis asked the couple to leave, the affidavit states.

Police went to Lewis’ home and found his body inside, but investigators already knew that Lewis was missing. They had apparently already begun looking for him because Lewis’ son, David Lewis, reported him missing earlier on March 11.

David Lewis had told police that his father had told him, possibly during a conversation that occurred March 7, that he feared that a “hit” had been placed on him after it had become known that he was a registered sex offender.

David Lewis told police that he lost contact with his father after trying to call him repeatedly on March 7 and March 8 before visiting the house March 9. He said he found his father’s medications, shoes, hat and jacket “all in their place in the home,” the affidavit states.

Two dogs were inside the house – including one that David Lewis believed might belong to King — and large bowls of food and water were left out for them, the affidavit states.

“Even though David was concerned, he thought his father had left the area for a bit so David left the residence,” the affidavit states.

Lewis repeatedly called his father through March 10-11 and returned on the afternoon of March 11, several hours before King’s suicide. Lewis noticed someone had been inside the house, the dogs were gone, and he saw no sign of his father. He then reported this to state police, the affidavit states.

Dube and David Lewis have declined to comment.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.