RANGELEY — Searchers on Friday found the body of a missing snowmobiler in Rangeley Lake and planned to continue looking for two others next week, a Maine Warden Service official said.

The body of Glen Henderson, 43, of Sabattus was found at about 1 p.m. in 135 feet of water about a quarter-mile from shore, Lt. Kevin Adam said. It was recovered with a remote vehicle.

Searchers left their base area in Lakeside Park and took some of Henderson’s relatives to a private lakeside area where the body was brought to shore. The snowmobile helmet was still on, making facial identification difficult, but some relatives recognized the clothing on the body, Adam said.

Henderson’s body was taken to Wiles Funeral Home in Farmington.

A local medical examiner was called to make a positive identification, and the Maine Warden Service later confirmed it was Glen Henderson.

Adam said wardens would return next week to continue the search for Kenneth Henderson, 40, of China, and John Spencer, 41, of Litchfield who are presumed to be in the lake. Wardens believe the three men were crossing the lake during whiteout conditions and drove into open water Dec. 30. Their snowmobiles were found in the lake in February but the search for their bodies was called off until spring.

On Friday night, friends and loved ones of Henderson reacted to the news.

“I am glad that they were able to bring Glen home today and wish that the others are brought home very soon,” Shannon Wheeler of Oxford said. “These are three very special men. They all raced at (Oxford Plains Speedway) and the track will not be the same without them around.”

Wheeler added, “I know Spence was putting a car together to race again this year, and now he is watching over all of us. I am saddened as to why it took so long to start the recovery process, as are many others. At this point I am just glad to say we all can start the grieving process for Glen. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the families for a speedy recovery. They will be missed by many, but never forgotten.”

Wardens began their search Tuesday with sonar equipment and water-certified cadaver dogs. On Thursday, divers entered the lake but were forced to halt the search due to technical issues with their equipment, which were fixed overnight.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: