PORT CLYDE — The mother of a young boy killed Aug. 11 — when a car slammed into her family on a wharf as they awaited a ferry to Monhegan — has been released from Maine Medical Center.

A spokeswoman for the Portland hospital said Wednesday morning that Allison Gold had been discharged.

Knox County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Tim Carroll said Wednesday he had been told that Gold was sent to a medical facility in Massachusetts to continue her rehabilitation. The Gold family is from Cohasset, Mass., and was on vacation in Maine at the time of the crash.

Gold, 50, was initially listed in critical condition after the Aug. 11 crash. Her 9-year-old son, Dylan Gold, died while being transported by ambulance to a waiting LifeFlight helicopter that was at a nearby ballfield in St. George. Her 6-year-old son, Wyatt Gold, was injured but released from the hospital a few days later. The boys’ father, Howard Gold, was not hurt in the crash.

The chief deputy said that witnesses are being re-interviewed to see if they can recall anything else about the crash. The driver of the 2007 Infiniti G-35 — 61-year-old Cheryl Torgerson of New York City — has yet to be re-interviewed but she will be, Carroll said. Torgerson told police she does not recall what happened other than that the car accelerated.

A date has not been set for when the information downloaded from the Infiniti’s computer system will be analyzed, the chief deputy said.

Torgerson underwent a blood test, although officials from the sheriff’s department said there was no indication that she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

The Gold family was on the wharf waiting for the ferry to depart. Torgerson was driving to get to the ferry, which she also planned to ride to the island for a vacation. Police said witnesses reported that her car sped up as it approached the parking area, struck one car, then struck a pedestrian, Jonathan Coggeshall, 68, of Port Clyde. Torgerson’s car then struck the corner of a gift shop and ticket office before plowing into six parked vehicles on the wharf as well as the Gold family.

Coggeshall was admitted and later released from Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: