RANGELEY — The Oquossoc Grocery store on Carry Road reopened at 11 a.m. Wednesday, a day after a fire in an upstairs apartment caused minor water damage. A health inspector cleared the business to resume operations.

Store owners Kelly and Brad Stokes of Rangeley were required to dispose of any open containers pertaining to fresh food preparation, such as for sandwiches, and clean the counters before reopening, fire Chief Tim Pellerin said Wednesday.

The accidental fire was started by a pot left on the stove in the second-floor apartment. It heavily damaged the kitchen and there was smoke and water damage to the rest of it, he said.

Lori Weaver, who rents the apartment, escaped unharmed.

Firefighters put salvage covers on the contents of the store during the fire. Neighbors and friends used garden hoses and fire extinguishers to contain the fire to the kitchen until firefighters could arrive.

Work had also begun to repair the apartment, Pellerin said.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: