LEWISTON — A fire Sunday morning that damaged the outside of a home at 5 Larrabee Road was ruled accidental, according to Lewiston Fire Inspector Paul Ouellette.

The fire, which was reported at 8:26 a.m. Sunday, started on the back deck. The cause was improper disposal of fireplace ashes, which were placed in a plastic trash can, Ouellette said.

The homeowner thought the ashes were cooled enough from the previous evening, Ouellette said.

The trash can was next to three containers of gasoline, which helped fuel the fire, Ouellette said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: