NEW GLOUCESTER — The Board of Selectmen agreed Monday night to give the ad hoc committee working on a recall ordinance more time to come up with a final proposal.

At the same time, a citizen initiative spelling out recall provisions for appointed and elected town officials has been validated.

The five-member panel appointed by the board in January to develop the ordinance has been delayed by scheduling conflicts. Chairman Jean Couturier said two more meetings are needed to complete the task.

“We want it to be fair and stand up to legal challenge,” Couturier said.

Glen Mercier of the Parks and Recreation Committee said the group needs a plan to work with youth groups and expand offerings.

Interim Town Manager Paul First agreed that a comprehensive plan for recreation is outdated. He said the Planning Department will work with the group to update it.

Steve Hathorne asked selectmen about the personnel file of former town bookkeeper Sandra Sacco. It went missing late last year and was found two weeks ago in former Town Manager Sumner Field III’s desk drawer, according to Field.

Minutes before starting his retirement, Field sent an email to the board Feb. 14 saying he found the file in a drawer of his desk that he had cleaned out the week before. The documents had been rearranged, he said. He notified the Cumberland County sheriff, whose agency was investigating the file’s whereabouts, and Maine Labor Department, he said.

Sacco, a 25-year employee who resigned from office late last year citing a hostile work environment, asked for a copy of her file on Dec. 5, 2013, Field said in his email.

Selectman Josh McHenry said Monday night that he wants a report from the Sheriff’s Department on its investigation.

“My role as interim town manager is to bring us together,” First said. “I’m really doubtful we will ever find out what happened to the file.”

In other business, the failed search for a town manager has cost about $7,300, including assistance from the Maine Municipal Association, meetings at Pineland, catering and advertising.

The search attracted 64 candidates from 22 states and four countries, but the finalist turned down the town’s offer.

In another matter Monday, Beverly Cadigan chastised residents for disrespecting town officials and urged the town to move in a positive direction.

“I’ve watched these meetings. I’ve seen people disrespect the Board of Selectmen, I’ve seen people disrespect the former town manager, the people who work at the Town Office and the town planner, Paul First,” she said.

“I’m sick and tired of hearing disrespect for (board Chairman) Steve Libby,” she said. “I’m disgusted with all the personal attacks in this town.”

Cadigan said, “We have to move forward and move in a positive way.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: