WATERFORD — The cause of a fire that destroyed a farmhouse on Valley Road on Wednesday night was still being investigated a day later.

An investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office spent part of Thursday at 849 Valley Road where the home of Marcel Soule burned to the ground.

No one was hurt in the blaze, but fire officials were investigating a report that a dog may have been inside the farmhouse when it caught fire.

The house, on 2½ acres half a mile from Melby’s, was fully engulfed in flames when fire crews arrived at about 8 p.m. According to Waterford Assistant Fire Chief Bill Haynes, firefighters had to use an excavator to bring down the charred remains of the house because of stubborn flames on the roof.

The house was a total loss and a nearby barn was badly damaged.

Fire officials believe the blaze was accidental, although the investigation was expected to continue Friday.

Fire crews from several local towns helped battle the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.