SUMNER — A local man was arrested without incident after a three-hour standoff with Maine State Police on Friday. 

Jason Merriam, 33, was arrested at 712 Main St. on felony charges of violation of bail, violation of a protection order and reckless conduct. 

Merriam was wanted in an incident Wednesday evening involving his father, Chester Merriam, who had filed a protection order against his son, Maine State Police Sgt. Kyle Tilsley said. He declined to discuss the nature of the incident. 

Firefighters from West Paris and Sumner were called around noon to block off road access to the home. Traffic was detoured around a quarter-mile portion of Route 219 between J&J Variety and Lower Sumner Hill Road as a precaution.

Half a dozen state police vehicles and Oxford County deputies converged at the property Friday after spending Wednesday and Thursday watching locations Merriam was known to frequent between Sumner and Hartford. 

Given Merriam’s long history of violence, officers approached the situation cautiously, Tilsley said. Merriam was not believed to be armed.

In 2007, while serving a six-year probation for theft, Merriam was charged with aggravated assault, domestic assault, criminal threatening and two counts of terrorizing. A charge of kidnapping was dismissed.

The charges stem from an incident in Sumner in which Merriam’s 33-year-old girlfriend accused him of forcing her into his car to take her back to his apartment. She said Merriam slammed her head against the vehicle and steering wheel, choking her and threatening to kill her.

In 2008, he pleaded no contest and served a three-year sentence.

He was arrested in Paris in September 2012 for violating conditions of that probation by drinking in public. He was living in Livermore Falls at the time, and pleaded guilty to the charges in February 2013.

A month later, after he moved to Sumner, he was charged with domestic violence assault with prior offenses, domestic violence terrorizing with priors, failure to submit to arrest or detention and probation violation. That case remains open.

On July 20 in Paris, he was arrested by Oxford County deputies and charged with assault and terrorizing. 

He was taken Friday to the Oxford County Jail, where he was being held without bail. He is expected to appear before a judge on Monday, according to a deputy at the jail. 

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: