AUGUSTA (AP) — Maine lawmakers may consider a bill that would require hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors in all homes and hotel rooms in the state.

An incident at an Ogunquit hotel last winter in which 21 guests were sickened by carbon monoxide provided the impetus for the legislative effort, which was expected to be discussed at a news conference on Thursday.

Under current state law, carbon monoxide detectors are required at rental units, newly-purchased homes and hotels and dormitories built or renovated since Aug. 1 2012.

John Martell, president of the Professional Fire Fighters of Maine, told the Portland Press Herald ( ) he wants the law expanded to include all buildings where people sleep.

Martell has been working with state Sen. Bill Diamond, a Windham Democrat, to craft the legislation.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.