RUMFORD — Rumford and Mexico firefighters quickly knocked down a fire inside an Isthmus Street business, Rumford Deputy Chief Ben Byam said Thursday afternoon.

Byam said that firefighters responded to Donna’s Gift Emporium at 351 Isthmus Road at 10:44 a.m. after a structure fire was reported.

“We found that the fire stemmed from the owner of the building melting candles on her wood stove,” Byam said. “We’re not sure at this point if the candles caught fire or if they spilled and caused the fire to spread.”

The fire was contained to a small area around the wood stove, Byam said.

“We cut a hole in the eaves to vent out some of the smoke from the fire,” Byam said. “There was a lot of smoke and heat damage, but we were able to knock it down pretty quick.”

Byam said that nobody was injured in the fire, and that the owner was inside at the time of the fire.

[email protected]

filed under: