PORTLAND — Portland officials say they will take legal action against the landlord of an apartment building where six people died in a fire for safety code violations at another building he owns.

A city spokeswoman tells The Associated Press that Gregory Nisbet did not bring his Dartmouth Street property up to code by Monday’s deadline. Ten violations included electrical problems, the use of extension cords as permanent wiring and improper storage of combustible materials.

Nisbet owned the Noyes Street home that burned in November in Maine’s deadliest fire in 40 years. That fire was ruled an accident caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

Nisbet did not respond to a phone call. His attorney has said problems at the Dartmouth Street house were caused by tenants who have since been evicted.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: