FARMINGTON – A former Lewiston man who assaulted and threatened his girlfriend in 2013 was sentenced Thursday to serve six years in prison with all but 30 months suspended, his attorney Thomas J. Carey said Friday.

Upon his release Brandon Knox, 27, will be on probation for two years. He has been in custody for several months.

Justice Nancy Mills presided over the sentencing hearing Thursday in Kennebec County Superior Court at the Capital Judicial Center. She also presided over the June 2014 trial when a jury convicted Knox of three charges in Franklin County Superior Court.

Knox was convicted of felony charges of criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, domestic violence assault with a dangerous weapon and domestic violence terrorizing with a dangerous weapon on June 18, 2014, according to Farmington court documents. The jury found him not guilty of a felony charge of terrorizing. The latter charge pertained to another person the state tried to add to the case, Carey, whose law firm is in Vienna, said.

The dangerous weapon he threatened the woman with was a household hammer, he said.

When Farmington police Sgt. Edward Hastings IV interviewed the woman at her parents’ house in Farmington on Dec. 5, 2013, she had bruises on her face and around her head and neck, and both eyes were noticeably black and blue, Shane Cote, Farmington deputy police chief, said Friday, according to Hastings’ report. There was also damage to the house, he said.


Hastings had warrants issued and was arrested by Franklin County Sheriff’s Office deputy on Dec. 9, Cote said.

The couple had lived in Augusta previously.

The events that led to Knox’s arrest took place over a period of time and occurred in Hallowell and Farmington, Carey said.

The couple was in a vehicle at one point where some of the verbal and physical abuse occurred, Cote said.

Knox told the court Thursday that he was very sorry for what occurred, Carey said.

“He recognized this is a point in his life that he needs to change and needs to change the path that he was on to a different path and work hard to make sure nothing like this happens again,” he said.

Comments are no longer available on this story