LEWISTON — For a few frantic moments, confusion reigned at the Blue Goose.

A section of Sabattus Street went dark and a few patrons of the bar filed out onto the streets as smoke floated across the area near Horton Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found that a transformer had blown above the bar, creating a haze and knocking out lights along Sabattus Street.

Fire crews were called to the area at about 7:30 p.m. when several people reported what they thought was an electrical fire inside the bar, causing a handful of patrons to leave.

Firefighters quickly discovered that the problem was outside, and they called Central Maine Power Co. to make repairs.

Police briefly blocked off a small section of Sabattus Street in front of the bar as emergency crews responded. As firefighters assessed the problem there, a report of a structure fire came in, this time from Knox Street on the other side of the downtown. That turned out to be a barbecue grill on a porch.

Nobody was hurt in either incident. By 8 p.m., CMP was en route to Sabattus Street. Streetlights were expected to be glowing again by the end of the night.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.