LEWISTON — Improper use of a heater destroyed a house and killed two pets Sunday morning.

Fire Inspector Paul Ouellette confirmed the fire that broke out at 20 Mason Ave. at 9:54 a.m. was caused by improper use of a kerosene heater near combustible materials in the first floor hallway. 

Ouellette said The fire caused heavy damage throughout the first floor with smoke and water damage throughout the remaining structure made the home a total loss.

The two-alarm fire broke out when the sole female resident was not at home. Auburn Fire Department assisted, quickly extinguishing the fire but not before the owner’s two cats perished. A third cat remains unaccounted for. 

Ouellette said the displaced woman will be staying with family. 

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: