LIVERMORE FALLS — A local man is accused of stabbing a 44-year-old Turner man twice late Wednesday with a large kitchen knife after a fight broke out on Meadowbrook Road, police Chief Ernest Steward Jr. said Thursday.

The man was stabbed in the top of the shoulder near the base of his neck and in the back of the arm. The wounds were not life-threatening, Steward said, according to an officer’s report. The knife had about an 8-inch blade, he said.

Michael Knowlton, 34, of 133 Park St., in Livermore Falls, was arrested on felony charges of aggravated assault and violating conditions of release and misdemeanor charges of domestic violence criminal threatening and violation of a protection order, Steward said. Knowlton was being held Thursday morning without bail at the Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn.

A conviction on the aggravated assault charge is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

Sgt. Vernon Stevens went to the housing complex at about 8:30 p.m. when a violation of a protection order was reported. Knowlton was accused of making threatening phone calls to a woman who had been his girlfriend. The couple has been separated for a while but have children together, Steward said.

Stevens left the complex after about an hour because he could not find Knowlton.

Shortly after 10:14 p.m., Androscoggin County dispatch told officers there was a report of a large fight in progress at Meadowbrook Road and police returned to the site. Stevens, Lt. Joseph Sage and officer Kinda Lilley and two Jay officers responded.

The victim who had been stabbed was holding Knowlton on the ground when police arrived, Steward said. Police broke up the fight.

The victim was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he was seen and released, a spokeswoman said.

Knowlton, who was heavily under the influence of alcohol, was arrested at 11:05 p.m., Steward said. Knowlton declined medical attention. He became sick and vomited in the back of the cruiser, Steward said. Knowlton was taken to St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center in Lewiston for evaluation and when he was cleared to leave, police took him to the jail at 1:46 a.m. Thursday.

Knowlton had been released on bail from a domestic violence assault against the woman April 7, police said. At the time, police had sought a no-contact provision, but the court allowed contact because of the children, Steward said.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.