DIXFIELD — Police Chief Jeff Howe said officers are making progress in determining those responsible for an “alarming” number of burglaries of late.

“We have been experiencing a rash of burglaries in our town, and it has become quite alarming,” he said Thursday afternoon. “We have been working these cases diligently and tirelessly.”

He said his officers have had some breaks in the cases and “have made some great progress.”

“It has been frustrating for us, as well as the citizens, and I really wanted to reach out to everyone and let them know that we are making progress,” he said.

Howe asked that residents remain vigilant in locking their homes and vehicles.

“It really is disheartening to say, but I feel that we are advancing into a new era and this will become more common in our area,” Howe said. “This is happening all over the state, and it is finally here on our doorstep. It will take the work of our community — neighbors watching out for neighbors and the people working with the police — that will make the difference.”

The chief asked those who see any suspicious activity, no matter the hour, to call 911.

“I have had messages left for me that I may not get for a few days if I am on days off, or out of the area,” he said. “It is very important to report incidents when they happen.”

In other news, Howe said the department received 63 calls for service since July 1. Among them were:

* At 10:04 p.m. July 4, Brad Dyer, 39, of Dixfield was driving north on the Common Road when he struck a deer with his 2007 Ford Expedition. There was front-end damage to the vehicle, but the deer ran off.

* At 4 p.m. July 4, Michael Mills, 40, of Dixfield was arrested on a warrant charging operating after suspension. He was released on $800 unsecured bail and will be arraigned Aug. 10 in 11th District Court.

* At 9:45 a.m. July 3, a motorist struck and killed a deer on Main Street near the bluffs. There was no damage to the vehicle.

* At 7:47 p.m. July 1, Benjamin Welch, 36, of Dixfield, was arrested on a warrant charging failure to appear. He was released on $150 cash bail.

* At 4:30 p.m. July 1, a motorist reported a car-deer accident and that the driver left the scene and the injured deer needed to be put down. When an officer arrived on the scene, the deer was already dead.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: