In a statement, Gagne said a 27-year-old Harrison man saw the news of Stanhope’s death on Sunday morning and called police to report he was driving his truck on Route 117 at the time of the accident and thought he had hit a deer.

The accident happened at 8:50 p.m.

The man has not been charged, and police have not released his name.

Gagne said Stanhope was traveling with a friend on Route 117 near the intersection with Bennett Road when they experienced some mechanical trouble. Stanhope pulled over and stepped out of her car to get something from the back seat when she was struck by the truck.

The dark-colored Ford pickup was traveling west on Route 117 heading toward Buckfield and did not stop, police said.

On Sunday morning, after seeing news reports of the crash, the unidentified Harrison man called police to say he thought he hit a deer and was “unaware that he had struck a person,” according to Gagne.

After the man called police, they met him in Harrison for an interview. Gagne said the man was cooperative. His truck was seized and taken to the Maine State Police Crime Lab in Augusta for examination.

According to Gagne, specific details of the investigation are not being released, including the man’s name, because he has not been charged.

The District Attorney’s Office has been involved with the investigation, Gagne said, and once police have finished their investigation the findings will be turned over to the DA’s office for review.

Stanhope is originally from Lincoln, according to her Facebook page, and studied at Central Maine Community College. She lists her current occupation as a custodian at Sunday River in Newry.

A member of her family has set up a account to raise money for funeral expenses.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: