DIXFIELD — The Board of Selectmen meeting scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 9, has been canceled, Town Manager Carlo Puiia said Friday.

Instead, selectmen will meet Monday, Nov. 23, and hold a public hearing on the Safe Routes to School project.

In early 2013, the town agreed to move forward with constructing 3,500 feet of sidewalk from Dirigo High School to T.W. Kelly Dirigo Middle School, and constructing a sidewalk the length of Nash Street to the Regional School Unit 10 superintendent’s building. The cost would be split between the town and the Maine Department of Transportation, with MDOT paying 80 percent of the project and the town paying 20 percent.

The town abandoned the Nash Street section of the project last month because the $68,201 cost was considered too high.

During a special town meeting Oct. 1, residents overwhelmingly voted against appropriating $46,850 from surplus as a 20 percent match for building a sidewalk along Weld Street.

However, Puiia said he was told by the MDOT that “now would be an opportune time to put out a bid,” and that if the town had funding difficulties, they could file an appeal for assistance.

The board agreed to schedule a public hearing to give residents a chance to state whether they wanted to move forward with the project.

[email protected]

 

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.