STRONG — State fire investigators ruled that a fire that destroyed a mobile home and belongings at 56 Burbank Hill Road on Thursday morning was accidental and started around the wood stove, Fire Chief Duayne Boyd said.

A mail carrier reported the fire at David Ladd’s residence to dispatchers just before 10 a.m. Ladd, who is retired, was not home. He has lived there for about 30 years, he said.

“It is a total loss,” Boyd said.

Between 30 and 35 firefighters from Strong, Farmington, Kingfield, New Vineyard, Phillips, Salem Township, Temple and Wilton responded with 14 pieces of apparatus, including tanker and squad trucks.

“Fire was coming out of the windows when we first arrived on scene with a firetruck,” Boyd said.

Firefighters shuttled water from a hydrant on nearby Route 149.

The American Red Cross was contacted, the chief said. 

Ladd, who watched firefighters work to put out the fire, said he had just paid his insurance Monday. His belongings were lost in the fire.

“What didn’t burn is smoke- or water-damaged,” Boyd said.

[email protected]

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: