RILEY TOWNSHIP – An out-of-state couple who started a fire in their wood stove and went for a walk found their cabin engulfed in flames when they returned Friday afternoon, Fire Chief Bruce Pierce said.

“While they were letting the wood stove heat up, they took a walk,” Pierce said. “By the time they got back to their cabin, the entire building was up in flames. Apparently, the fire started in the wood stove and got out of control.”

Pierce did not know their names or where they are from.

The cabin was on Sunday River Road.

“We’re very fortunate that nobody was injured,” Pierce said. “By the time we got there, the building was already a total loss.”

Firefighters from Newry and Bethel responded to the call.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.