FARMINGTON — Two southern Maine men pleaded guilty Monday to burglarizing four condominiums at Black Bear Run in Carrabassett Valley on Dec. 5, 2015.

Shawn Anthony, 19, of Freeport, and Rene Mesones, 20, of North Yarmouth each pleaded guilty to four felony counts of burglary, one felony charge of theft, two misdemeanor charges of theft and four misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief.

If the case had gone to trial, testimony would have been given that a woman in her condominium was awoken by her dog, then heard two men talking and a window opening, Assistant District Attorney Joshua Robbins said.

Carrabassett Valley police found handprints and footprints in the snow that led to a nearby condominium where Anthony and Mesones were staying.

Police would testify they went to the neighboring condominium and noticed two pair of wet shoes inside. They also noticed that Anthony was trying to conceal something between the cushions of a couch, Robbins said. It was a junior ski pass bearing the name of someone in another condominium.

Testimony would also be given that Anthony admitted to burglarizing the condos and that the two were intoxicated.

The two were accused of stealing an estimated $2,200 worth of items, including electronics and ski equipment, that were recovered.

Justice William Stokes accepted both men’s pleas and an agreement between the state and the men that defers sentencing for two years. If the men comply with the agreement, they will be able to withdraw their felony pleas and each plead to two misdemeanor counts of theft. They would each pay a $250 fine for each of the two charges.

If they are not successful, they will each face sentencing on all of the charges, Justice Stokes said.

Each burglary charge carries a penalty of up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

As part of the agreement, they each must each complete 100 hours of community service and between them pay $1,600 in restitution to the Mountain Valley Property Association for damage done during the break-ins.

Anthony and Mesones are scheduled to return to Franklin County court on May 25, 2018.

Justice Stokes also banned the two from being at Sugarloaf and any of the access roads.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.