CHESTERVILLE — Several chickens perished when a three-story barn attached to a house caught fire Friday afternoon at 28 Vienna Road, Fire Chief John Archer said.

More than 30 firefighters responded to help fight the blaze in 28-degree weather while a brisk wind sent billowing smoke into the air that could be seen for miles. They were able to contain the blaze to the barn and kept it spreading to the house.

The fire was reported at 12:53 p.m.

Brett Roberts who lives up the road owns the house and barn, and rented it to Barry Webber and his family, Archer said. 

It looks like the fire started over the coop where a heat lamp had been set up. Sparks had been seen earlier in the week coming from the fixture and the bulb was removed, he said.

An investigator from the Office of the Maine State Fire Marshal is investigating.

What appeared to be a new couch and refrigerator were also damaged in the fire.

The barn is fixable, Archer said.

Water was shuttled from a hydrant by Farmington Motel on Route 2 to the scene just over the Farmington line.

“It was a good stop,” he said. “It was a good job done by all. I am thankful for all the departments that responded.”

The road started to get icy during the afternoon hours and the Chesterville Public Works Department put some sand down.

Chesterville firefighters were assisted by departments from Farmington, Jay, Industry, East Dixfield, Wilton, New Sharon and Temple. NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel were also on the scene. Farmington police controlled traffic until Franklin County sheriff’s deputies, who had been in Strong, arrived and took over.

[email protected]

Check out the video of Friday’s fire at 28 Vienna Road in Chesterville on the Sun Journal’s website www.sunjournal.com.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: