LEWISTON — The second-seeded York Wildcats were gracious “hosts” for their Class B South semifinal game against the No. 6 Yarmouth Clippers at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Friday night.

The Clippers fired the first shot on goal in each period, but after that, the Wildcats weren’t as gracious, running up eight goals in an 8-1 win over Yarmouth to earn a spot in the regional final. The Wildcats outshot the Clippers 49-19.

It was the second time the teams played each other this season, with the Wildcats earning a 7-0 win on Feb. 11.

Andrew Bertolini, Jacob Nelson and Jacob Martin each had two goals to pace York.

“We have been working hard throughout the month of February and sticking with our motto of getting 15 shots per period,” York coach James Powers said. “Once we got out in front and everything, the guys skated real hard. They kept skating real hard in the offensive end. The forecheck, I think, really worked out.”

After putting nine shots on Yarmouth keeper Dan Latham in the first seven minutes, the 10th finally found the back of the net for the Wildcats. Bertolini’s shot from the high slot hit off Latham and trickled cross the line at the 7:15 mark. Dalton McCann picked up the only assist on the opening marker.

York went 2-for-2 on the man advantage, Yarmouth went scoreless on their two chances.

At the 10:43 mark, Yarmouth couldn’t make a clean line change and was called for too many men on the ice. York made them pay 16 seconds into the power play when Spencer Pickett found Martin at the top of the blue line and ripped a shot past Latham.

The Wildcats outshot the Clippers 21-5 in the first period. Two of Yarmouth’s best chances were late in the period when Wildcats goalie Keenan Gamache made the initial save but lost sight of the puck. York’s defenders were able to clear the puck out of danger in both instances.

“Yarmouth is a good team,” Powers said. “I have the utmost respect for them. “They are well coached and they’ve got some very good players. This was our night tonight, they worked very, very hard.”

York continued to control the puck in the second period as Nelson scored a wrap around goal 2:47 into the period. Max Pickett had the only assist on the goal.

Julius Lundgren made it 4-0 when his shot from below the right circle bounced off Latham and right back to him. His second attempt found the back of the net at the 4:23 mark.

Bertolini, Nelson (a power play goal) and Martin notched their second goals of the game in the third period.

“It seems like they have one guy that’s really, really strong, they are good players, but it’s easier to defend when one guy is doing most of the lugging,” Powers said. “You saw some of the passes too, one guy they are focusing on and the next thing you know he’s finding the open guy on the other side. Skating three lines were huge.”

Bennett Travers put Yarmouth on the board with 3:40 remaining in the third.

Comments are not available on this story.