Dear Sun Spots: Your column is a good information place. Keep the news coming.

My question is: How does a person get a refund for merchandise that was paid for but never received? I sent for two personalized books for a couple of children for Christmas last year and never received them. The books were guaranteed for Christmas if ordered by the beginning of December. I mailed the order the beginning of November and included a money order. I sent a follow-up note on Feb. 17, 2017, and have gotten no reply. The company is My Adventure Books, P.O. Box 5057, Des Plaines, IL 60017-5057 or The books were $14.99 each. Thank you.

— No name, no town

ANSWER: How frustrating! I know sometimes things get lost in the mail, though. Do you know if your money order was actually deposited? When I looked up this company, this is the contact information I found. There is also a help desk on their website at www. or send an email to [email protected] The mailing address is: SIGNATURE GIFTS LTD, 240 Long Beach Road, Island Park, New York 11558-1541.

Friends, if you have any helpful advice for dealing with this company, please send a note to Sun Spots.

Dear Sun Spots: I read your column every morning. Thank you. You are a wizzy-wonder.

We have 24 old bowling trophies from the ’70s that we hate to discard. I thought that in the past someone refurbished them, even removing the top, making them usable for anyone. I thought they were used for Special Olympics but don’t remember for sure. Years ago, I drove a school bus for special needs children and adults for 14 years and have special feelings for them all. Does anyone repurpose these trophies? They are free. Thank you.

— Barb, Avon

ANSWER: I spoke with Lisa at Special Olympics Maine in South Portland. This very nice lady says she gets daily calls from people who want to donate their trophies! The thing is, Special Olympics doesn’t use trophies, just ribbons and medals. Lisa is hoping Sun Spots can clear up any misconceptions and that Special Olympics will receive fewer trophy-related inquiries!

Lisa recommends that trophies be donated to LAMB Awards. This organization helps find new homes for your old trophies by either donating them to charities or breaking them down for parts to be used for building other trophies. The organization also collects plaques and medals. Contact them first at [email protected] (write “recycling” in the subject line) or call them at 1-800-877-1448. Their mailing address is 129 East Main St., Westminster, MD 21157. You are responsible for any shipping expenses, but it’s a small price to pay to contribute to a good cause.

If there are any local organizations who could repurpose these trophies, please write to Sun Spots and we will get the word out!

And by the way, I kind of dig being called a “wizzy-wonder.” You made my day!

Use the QR code to go to Sun Spots online for additional information and links. This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can be emailed to [email protected], tweeted @SJ_SunSpots or posted on the Sun Spots Facebook page at This column can also be read online at We’ve joined Pinterest at

Comments are not available on this story.