DIXFIELD — The State Fire Marshal’s Office said Wednesday that a Dixfield man died late Monday night at Maine Medical Center in Portland as a result of burns from a kitchen fire at his farmhouse on Jan. 2.

Richard Roberts, 78, of 97 Averill Hill Road suffered burns to 45 percent of his body when his clothes caught fire while using a propane kitchen stove, according to a statement from Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

Dixfield Fire Chief Scott Dennett said Roberts, who lived alone, called 911 about 6 p.m. and Deputy Fire Chief Chris Moretto arrived first and encouraged Roberts to come outside.

Roberts was taken to Rumford Hospital and flown to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

McCausland said this is the second fire death this year. The other was a man who was found Saturday in his mobile home in Skowhegan, likely the result of an electrical issue.

[email protected]

Fire Marshals say Richard Roberts, 78, of Dixfield died late Monday night at Maine Medical Center in Portland as a result of burns he suffered in a kitchen fire at his farmhouse on Jan. 2. (WGME photo)


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: