Two people and a dog escaped a burning house early Thursday at 36 Old Staples Hill Road in Dixfield. There were no injuries, Fire Chief Scott Dennett said. (Submitted photo)

DIXFIELD — Two people and a dog escaped a burning home at 36 Old Staples Hill Road early Thursday, after the dog alerted the residents, Fire Chief Scott Dennett said.

Zachary Cannon’s dog woke him at about 12:30 a.m., leading Cannon to discover the fire around the chimney of the single-story home owned by his mother, Margaret Cannon. Unable to extinguish the flames, he, a child and the dog escaped, the chief said.

There were no injuries.

The house, which was not insured, was destroyed, but firefighters were able to save an attached shed and barn, he said.

“The Fire Marshal’s Office will not be investigating,” Dennett said. “It seemed to be pretty clear-cut that it was associated with the chimney and wood stove.”

Dennett said by the time crews arrived at the scene, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

The town highway crew had to plow a foot of snow off Old Staples Hill Road so firefighters could get to the house. Then water had to be shuttled in because there were no hydrants nearby.

Fire departments from Peru, Mexico, East Dixfield, Canton, Rumford, Wilton and Jay were called to help.

“Much of the reason for multiple departments was due to needing a water supply,” Dennett said. “Fire crews had to get the water supply established. Tankers had to refill at a hydrant back near the intersection of the Canton Point Road.”

Fire crews were at the scene until about 6:45 a.m.