DEAR SUN SPOTS: I have some dental instruments that my father used in his practice. He had desired to join Dentists without Borders, but he never was able to fulfill that dream. Could you help me find a good home for these instruments? If someone is interested in obtaining the hand tools, please write to Rebecca at [email protected] I look forward to hearing from someone soon. I appreciate your assistance.

—Rebecca, Rumford

DEAR SUN SPOTS: The team at Auburn Public Services brought to my attention that in the Sun Spots of April 17, it was reported that residents can bring “residential waste” to the Public Services garage on Gracelawn. Residents may bring a very limited number of materials that includes brush, electronic waste and fluorescent bulbs to this facility. The list of materials that can be dropped off appears on our website.

We fear the April 17 column implies that all residential waste can be dropped at APS. We would appreciate it if you could please clarify this.

Thank you so much for your prompt attention.

—Liz, Auburn

ANSWER: You are right, Liz. Mrs. Sun Spots should have gone into more detail with this answer! APS accepts ONLY brush that’s small enough to go through a chipper (approximately 12 inches and under). They also accept electronic waste such as monitors, televisions, speakers, desktop copiers, printers, scanners, fax machines,CPUs and laptops, battery backup systems and other computer peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.), DVDs and VCRs, fluorescent bulbs, thermostats and mercury thermometers. For more information, visit the website at or call 207-333-6601.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: I am trying to locate a source where I can safely dispose of two bottle gas tanks (the kind used when grilling food). My local landfill prohibits disposal of them. I contacted my oil company that provides my home’s heating fuel, but they would not accept the tanks as they were not purchased from them nor could they direct me to anyone who takes them. I called the Department of Environmental Protection and they directed me to the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. I left a message on their answering machine, but after waiting a week for a reply, no one has returned my call. Where should I turn next? Thanks for any help you can provide.

—No name, no town

ANSWER: I’m sorry you’ve gone through so much trouble to get rid of those tanks. Next time, just contact Sun Spots!

If you remember where you purchased the bottles, that business may take them back, but call first and ask.

Mid-Maine Waste Action Corporation will take care of those tanks for you for a fee of $3 each. MMWAC is located at 110 Goldthwaite Road in Auburn and is open from 7 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. If you have any questions call them at 207-783-8805 or go to their website at

Maine Oxy at 22 Albiston Way in Auburn also will take the cylinders. The fee is $10 each. If you go to their web site at, you will find a list of several different drop-off points, too. Their phone number is 1-800-377-9433.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to [email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: