WINTHROP — State Rep. Craig Hickman was seriously burned Tuesday morning while trying to start a brush fire on his property.

Hickman used gasoline to start the fire and vapors exploded, which caused his clothing to catch fire, investigators said in a news release. He was burned on his legs and chest.

Hickman was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston by ambulance and later flown by the LifeFlight helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office, aided by Maine Forest Service rangers, said Hickman poured a small amount of gasoline on the brush pile and lit a cardboard egg carton and placed it on the pile.

Hickman, a Democrat, is an organic farmer, small business owner, chef, poet and author. He is in his third term in the Maine Legislature.

State Rep. Craig Hickman, D-Winthrop, was badly burned Tuesday while lighting a brush fire, officials said. (Kennbec Journal file photo by Joe Phelan)


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: