CHESTERVILLE — Fire damaged the basement of a house Wednesday afternoon at 374 Dutch Gap Road.

Two cats perished in the blaze and contents in the basement, including valuables and tools, were destroyed, Chief John Archer said.

Travis Fletcher, owner of the two-story house with a daylight basement, watched from the backyard as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire. 

Fletcher reported the fire just after 1 p.m.

A large fan was set up to blow into the entry of the basement to ventilate the building, which is insured.

Not long after firefighters arrived, Farmington Capt. Tim “TD” Hardy stepped onto a back deck through a glass door and told other firefighters the fire was pretty much out.


A majority of the fire had burned itself out because of lack of oxygen, Hardy said. Firefighters extinguished the rest. 

Archer said Fletcher was working in a back room in the basement in a workshop in the morning and was cutting up stuff with a chop-saw and hit a nail that caused a spark.

It is unknown if that caused the fire or if it was electrical, Archer said.

There was fire damage downstairs, he said. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the basement. Smoke filled the house and could be seen coming out the second-floor windows.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family.

[email protected]


Wilton Fire Chief Sonny Dunham stands near the back of a house at 374 Dutch Gap Road in Chesterville on Wednesday as smoke from a basement fire blows out of upstairs windows.  (Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal)

Farmington firefighter Junior Turner, right, rushes a hose to the entry of a basement that caught fire Wednesday afternoon at 374 Dutch Gap in Chesterville.  Farmington Deputy Chief Tim Hardy and another firefighter are shown at left. (Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal)

Farmington Fire Rescue Capt. Mike Bell steps out of the house and onto the back deck Wednesday of a house at 374 Dutch Gap Road in Chesterville, where fire damaged the basement. (Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal)

Farmington Fire Rescue Capt. Tim “TD” Hardy, on the deck, tells Wilton Fire Chief Sonny Dunham and Farmington firefighter Junior Turner on Wednesday afternoon that a fire in a basement of a house at 374 Dutch Gap Road in Chesterville is “pretty much out.” (Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal)

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: