SUMNER — A chimney fire caused significant water damage Monday night to a house at 102 Wild Woods Drive, Fire Department Safety Officer Kelly Stewart said Tuesday.

Homeowner Robert Runes used fire extinguishers to put out flames before firefighters arrived, “which might have bought some extra time,” Stewart said.

Fire departments from nine towns responded to the area, but few could access the residence.

“The amount of mutual aid we needed was due to the quarter-mile long driveway, limited access to the residence and a difficult water supply,” Stewart said.

She said the house was saved, but there will be significant water damage.

“Hopefully, that’s something that can be fixed moving forward,” Stewart said.

Firefighters from Sumner, Buckfield, West Paris, Greenwood, Woodstock, Mexico, Dixfield, Canton and Peru battled the blaze.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: