Colleen Howard has been searching for her husband, Ricky Howard, since he went missing near Deer Hill Road in Waterford in October.


WATERFORD — Colleen Pike-Howard and her friend Amanda Kennison have trudged through snow, crawled on their hands and knees and ventured out in sleet and rain to find Howard’s husband, Ricky Howard, a 49-year-old Waterford man who has been missing for five months.

Ricky Howard Submitted photo

“We’ve gone places and looked and handed out flyers, and talked to people, and spent the day out of state looking,” Howard said. “We’re absolutely willing to do that. At this point, honestly, it’s her and me.” 

Ricky Howard was last seen at AJ’s Everything Store in Stoneham on Oct. 5, 2018, his wife said.

His black 2008 Toyota RAV4 was found Sunday, Oct. 7, off Deer Hill Road in Waterford, along with his cellphone.


Despite extensive searches and support from friends and the community, Howard said she and Kennison are no closer to finding him.

“We’ve had some leads come in, and we checked those out, we heard that the sheriff had gotten some, and they checked those out, but nothing was found,” Howard said.

“We’re still asking anybody with any little thing to contact me on Facebook or the Sheriff’s Office. We’re willing to go and look wherever.”

Despite statements by Oxford County Sheriff Chief Deputy James Urquhart to the Sun Journal in December 2018 indicating that the case had been passed off to the Maine State Police’s Major Crime Unit, in a response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed on Feb. 28, Maine State Police Staff Attorney Christopher Parr wrote that “the Maine State Police is neither involved with nor assisting with the investigation.”

“We’re passing the case off to major crimes not because there’s anything suspicious about it, but because it’s protocol,” Urquhart told the Sun Journal.

In an email on Tuesday, Oxford County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy James Urquhart wrote, “Both agencies (Warden Service and Maine State Police) are involved in the case and have been since the beginning … Maine State Police due to the missing person aspect. Both agencies are assisting the Sheriff’s Office if we need additional assistance,” he wrote.


“We are not handing the case over to the State Police,” Urquhart wrote. “The only reason that would occur is if it was determined to be a suspicious death or suspicious circumstance. As of now, nothing has led the investigators to believe that.”

Urquhart indicated Sheriff’s Deputy Zane Loper and Lt. Chancy Libby have been in contact with Howard to keep her informed, and there have been no “hits” on Howard in the National Crime Information Center, a nationwide electronic clearinghouse of crime data.

“Due to the season and weather, there are not going to be any additional searches until spring, and then only if new leads come in to indicate a search is warranted,” Urquhart wrote. ”

However, Howard said she’s not happy with what she perceives as a lack of communication on the part of the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office. She said she calls once every few weeks, and finds it hard to get a response from the agency.

When the wife of a missing person calls you, and you’ve been the one on the case from the very beginning, follow through,” Howard said. “Just call and say, ‘Hi Colleen, nothing to report today.'”

Howard said Ricky had only lived here for a few years before he went missing. A truck driver at Perry Transportation in Poland, Ricky was sick the day he went missing. He had children and family in Ohio, including a brother and father. She said the pair were actively looking for leads in that area. 


Howard said the community response following her husband’s disappearance has been overwhelming. People have shared Howard’s Facebook posts from as far away as England. Local community members have lent snowmobiles, gas and even cadaver dogs and live-search dogs.

“Recently, we  got in touch with some people on McWain Pond in Waterford who have camps. The owner said to me, ‘Just go in and look,'” Howard said.

“He called me that Friday and said: ‘I just want you to know I talked to somebody. I sent snowmobiles down there, and they checked everything out. And everything’s good.'”

For Howard, every little bit helps, and she and Kennison are already planning for organizing searches in the spring. 

“I’ve had some people touch base with me in the last few days, saying: ‘Spring’s coming. We’re going to do some more searches. Let us know,'” she said.

“We’re really not going to give up until we find my husband. I don’t know what the outcome is going to be. Nobody does. We hope for the best.”


“We’re going to need manpower again,” Kennison said. “We’re going to be doing some more searches until he’s found. We’re going to need the manpower to get back out into the woods. We’ve done it with just us two, and it’s very hard to do. The more people, the better off it is.”

The two are calling for anyone who might have seen Ricky to come forward.

“We’re going to continue to search for Ricky, so any tips or any leads or any little things would be helpful,” Howard said. “If anyone saw him on that day and hasn’t said anything. … I think, in my opinion, sometimes people are afraid to be involved or to get involved for fear of, ‘Am I going to be in trouble?'”

“We live in a small town,” Kennison said. “It does get very personal, living in a small town and saying something. I wish somebody would just say, ‘You know what, we picked him up,’ that’s all we need.

“Then at least we know he was alive at that point, if that’s the case. And that’s OK, they don’t need to answer more questions. Just say, ‘You know what, hey, I picked him up,'” she said.

“He’s got to be someplace,” Howard said. “Somebody hopefully will come forward and say, ‘We were driving on that road, or we were 10 miles away and saw someone walking in this direction.’ That’s another direction we will go and look.”


For Howard, any little bit of information, no matter how small it might seem, will help in her search.

“Even if it was a conversation that someone had with him a month before this happened, every little thing helps,” Howard said. 

Howard and Kennison said they will follow the search until the end.

“I made her promise when this first started that we were going to follow it through until we find him,” Kennison said. “And then, I’ve kept my word to her.

“It’s been hard. We were talking on an everyday basis, and life has just gotten taken away. I don’t have to live in it every day, but Colleen does.”

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.