A firefighter hangs a fan Thursday in the doorway of a house at 3 Nimitz St. in Lewiston. Fire Investigator Paul Ouellette said an 87-year-old man was cooking when he fell, injured his arm and could not get up. Ouellete said food on the stove burned, creating heavy smoke. Fire Lt. Mark Anderson pulled the man out of the house to safety after the man’s son was unable to do so because of the smoke. The man and his son were taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where they were treated for smoke inhalation. The father also was treated for an arm injury. Later Thursday, a city woman suffered burns while cooking at her home at 154 Bartlett St. Ouellette said the woman put meat and cooking oil into a pan on the stove at about 6 p.m. and then went next door. When she returned, the pan was on fire and she was burned as she attempted to move it. The woman declined medical treatment. Sun Journal photo by Andree Kehn

filed under: