Maine Historic Preservation Commission technician works on a drain structure circa 1795 in Farmington Falls. Photo courtesy of Maine Historic Preservation Commission

CHESTERVILLE — The Chesterville Center Union Meeting House, in collaboration with the Chesterville Heritage Society, will host a presentation by John Mosher, archaeologist for the Maine Historic Preservation Commission, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10.

Mosher will discuss the commission’s findings at the Chesterville and Farmington Falls field site at the Routes 41 and 156 bridge over the Sandy River in Farmington Falls. The field work was performed during 2018 and 2019 in advance of the Maine Department of Transportation’s planned bridge project scheduled to begin in 2020.

The archaeological survey found evidence of an Amesokanti village, a circa 1795 cellar on the front lawn of the Nazarene Church parsonage and numerous mill remains on the Chesterville side of the bridge.

The presentation will include an overview of the legislation behind the Maine Historic Preservation Commission, the planning process of an archaeological survey, the research behind an investigation and how the commission’s work illuminates the history of pre-European contact and the politics of the British, French and Abenaki communities of the 17th and 18th centuries. Mosher will provide insight to the founding of Farmington Falls and the industrial complex that arose on the banks of the Sandy River.

Born in Millinocket, Mosher holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in geography and anthropology and a master’s degree in American and New England studies from the University of Southern Maine. He has participated in graduate work at the Quaternary Institute under the direction of Dr. Kristin Sobolik at the University of Maine, and has worked for the Maine Historic Preservation Commission since 2001. His lecture at the Chesterville Center Union Meeting House is free and open to the public.

The Chesterville Center Union Meeting House, 3 Borough Road, is a nonprofit community resource and is handicapped accessible. Donations to support the work of the Meeting House and the Chesterville Heritage Society will be accepted. For more information, visit or call 207-779-0660.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: