NEW VINEYARD — A fire believed to have been started by heat lamps to warm chickens destroyed a garage at 324 Basin Road late Sunday, Fire Chief Doug Churchill said Monday.

The chickens perished in the blaze.

Owner Damian Wagg noticed the fire and reported it.

Firefighters from seven towns responded to the scene about 10:59 p.m. The garage, which was about 20 feet from the house, was engulfed in flames when they arrived, Churchill said.

The house was not damaged, but everything in the garage was a total loss, he said.

The garage was not insured.

Firefighters cleared the scene about 1 a.m. Monday.

Fire departments assisting New Vineyard were Farmington, Industry, New Portland, North Anson, Strong and Temple.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: