BETHEL — The owner of a two-story home on Intervale Road was treated for smoke inhalation after fire destroyed the structure Thursday afternoon, Bethel Fire chief Mike Jodrey said Thursday night.

A dog escaped the blaze unharmed.

Crews went at 2236 Intervale Road for a report of a homeowner standing outside covered in soot. He was taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. His name was not available Thursday night.

The house was gutted and was considered a total loss, Bethel Fire Chief Mike Jodrey said. A camper parked in the yard was also badly damaged.

Officials believe the fire was accidental, although the State Fire Marshal’s Office was being sent to assist in the investigation.

Firefighters from Bethel and Rumford arrived at the scene around 5 p.m., reporting the wood-frame home was engulfed in flames. Other departments were sent to the scene to assist.

The home, 13 miles from the Bethel fire station, is in a wooded patch of land between Intervale Road and the Androscoggin River.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: