A ladder truck is used Thursday morning to extinguish a chimney fire at 930 South Rumford Road. Flames got into the walls, which had to be torn open to douse the fire, Fire Chief Chris Reed said. Submitted photo

RUMFORD — Firefighters tore out walls to extinguish a chimney fire Thursday morning at a home on South Rumford Road.

“It was a good stop with minimal damage,” Fire Chief Chris Reed said.

“We had to remove both sides of the wall from the chimney and put the fire out,” he said. ” Then he had a couple other issues with his chimney that we talked about.”

He said Michael LeClaire, owner of the home at 930 South Rumford Road was given advice about changes needed for the chimney that serves his wood stove.

Rumford firefighters were assisted by departments from Mexico and Andover.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: