The Mt. Ararat/Lisbon/Morse girls hockey team is riding momentum.

After defeating Yarmouth/Freeport 3-1 on Thursday, the Eagles earned their fourth win Saturday night by defeating Edward Little/Leavitt/Poland 4-2 at Norway Savings Bank Arena.

It was the Eagles’ first win over the Red Hornets in program history.

“We had a lot of energy, we were very confident in what we were doing, we just did what we did last game,” Eagles forward Sarah Moore said.

Moore, a Lisbon native, had two goals to lead the Eagles.

Teamwork helped the Eagles, especially in the third period.

“I think finally in the third period we got our team to work together, work in the corners and start passing the puck and looking for rebounds,” Eagles coach Jeremy Saxton said.

The Eagles took advantage of a tired Red Hornets team.

“Honestly, we were running out of gas at the end of the second (period) and they are a good team,” Red Hornets coach Dana Berube said. “They improved a lot and added another good player to their (roster). I thought our girls competed hard all night, which was great to see. We did a lot of good things.”

The Red Hornets quickly put a goal up as they went on the man-advantage early in the game. Kylee Spugnardi won the offensive-zone faceoff and the puck found Eve Martineau’s stick, and she fired past Eagles goalie Greta Marchildon (14 saves) just 66 seconds into the game.

Red Hornets goalie McKenzi Horton (nine saves) only saw two shots in the opening 15 minutes. Allie Hunter, who was in the box for the Red Hornets goal, evened up the game 1-1 nine minutes after Martineau’s goal.

Megan Lachance put the Red Hornets up 2-1 early in the second period, as she went to the back post and received a pass and put the puck in the half-open net. Sophia Hartley and Martineau had the assists.

“I thought our second goal was a beautiful goal,” Berube said. “Eve rushed it up, put it on Sophia’s stick and Megan went to the back door for the tap in. Those are some of the things we have been working on and we made some progress tonight and we are going to continue this week in practice.”

Moore scored 65 seconds into the third period, as Horton was able to stop the initial shot, but Moore was able to put home the rebound to tie the game up at two.

“It was great, it made us all happy about it, we just kept our energy and kept going,” Moore said.

The Eagles went on the power play in the middle of the period and took their first lead of the game. Ema Hawkes entered the offensive zone with no defensive pressure and ripped a shot that beat Horton on the short side to go up 3-2.

Moore added the empty-net goal while the team was shorthanded.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.