From left, Dale Potter-Clark and Bill Adams, behind and holding marker, both of the Readfield Historical Society, and Ed Dodge. John Lord is far right. Dodge and Lord are Masons who worked with Potter-Clark and Adams to plan and implement a Readfield History Walk on June 11 that included the dedication of Readfield’s first historic site marker. Andy Tolman photo

Forty people from Readfield and beyond gathered on June 11 at Readfield Corner for a Readfield History Walk on the 100th anniversary of a major fire that occurred in that part of town. The first “History Walks Series” historical site marker was dedicated as part of the event.

The historical site marker is the first of many being planned and funded by the Readfield Historical Society, made possible through donations, sponsorships and the sale of house circa signs, of which 80 have been sold to date. More historic site markers will be installed in Readfield Corner and at the “old Fairgrounds” later this summer. Others will follow over the three years ahead in and around Kents Hill, East Readfield and Readfield Depot.

The historic site marker pictured here will be displayed on the Masonic Block at Readfield Corner. The photos and narrative includes the history of Masonic Lafayette Lodge 48 AF & AM which was established at Readfield Corner in 1826; and the devastating fire that destroyed most of Readfield Corner on June 11, 1921. This sign was sponsored in memory of Thomas Adell, by some of his family members, friends and members of the Masonic Lodge. Adell was a Mason from 1951 until his death in 2013 and postmaster at Readfield Corner 1962-1989.

Historic site markers that are sponsored can include brief information about the sponsor and/or person(s) being memorialized or honored. A house circa sign is accompanied by research notes on the property and some of the people who lived there in years past. For more information about the historic site marker project or the acquisition of a house circa sign, email Dale Potter-Clark at [email protected].

The historical society is located at 759 Main St. in Readfield Depot. It was established in 1985 to preserve the rich heritage of Readfield and its people.

For more information about the society, call 207-377-2299 or email [email protected].

Comments are not available on this story.

Daily Headlines

  • Sign up and get the top stories to begin the day delivered to your inbox at 6 a.m.