LEWISTON — Improper disposal of smoking materials was found to be the cause of a late night blaze that heavily damaged a garage and destroyed a vehicle Friday night on Warren Avenue.

The fire at 151 Warren Ave. was reported at about 10 p.m. When the first fire crews arrived, they found flames and heavy smoke coming from the garage. As crews battled the fire, a thick haze of smoke hung over Warren Avenue, Farwell Street and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Firefighters were able to keep flames from damaging the house that sat a few feet from the garage. No injuries were reported. However, a vehicle parked inside the garage was considered a total loss, fire officials said.

Crews remained on Warren Avenue into early Saturday morning. Lewiston fire investigator Paul Ouellette was sent to the scene, where he determined a discarded cigarette had ignited the fire.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: