AUBURN — There was no stopping the Brunswick Dragons’ strikers Friday afternoon at Edward Little High School.

Senior Molly Taub scored three goals and freshman Alexis Morin added two goals in Brunswick’s 5-0 girls soccer victory over Edward Little.

“I think we are really an attacking team this year,” Taub said. “I think it’s really working well for us, just sending balls (to the strikers). We have a quick team, too.”

The Red Eddies (1-2) couldn’t contain the Dragons’ offense, which fired 31 shots on goal.

“Credit to Brunswick, they are a very talented, skilled team,” Edward Little coach Miles Bisher said. “They are good on the ball, good first-touch and have good soccer IQ. They will make it difficult for any (team).”

Taub put the Dragons (3-0) up 1-0 near the 11-minute mark when her low shot went in inside the far post.

Brunswick coach Martyn Davison said that he knew it was a matter of time before the Dragons started racking up goals.

“I thought we dominated the game,” Davison said. “I think (Edward Little) only had one shot. It was just a question of being patient getting that (first) goal. I think we got that (11) minutes in and the ending of the first half, the last 15 minutes, was pretty good.”

With about eight minutes remaining in the first half, Morin deflected a Logan Brown corner kick into the net to give Brunswick a 2-0 lead.

“(Morin) was brave, she put it home with her stomach; we will take it,” Davison said. “She’s a great young kid and a good talent. We love having her on the field, she works so hard for the team, which is important to me. She never stops running or working.”

A minute later, Morin set up Taub’s second goal for a 3-0 lead.

In the final minute of the first half, Morin caught Edward Little goalie Hailee Brown off-guard to extend the Dragons’ lead to 4-0.

It’s not the first time this season that the Red Eddies have given up three or more goals in a 10-minute span this season.

“There was a 10-minute stretch, and this has happened to us twice this season, against Mt. Blue we gave up four goals in 10 minutes,” Bisher said. “Today in the (first) half we gave up three goals in the final 10 minutes.”

Taub completed the hat trick when she chased down a through ball by Mia Klimash, beat an Edward Little defender, then fired a shot inside the box past Hailee Brown to give the Dragons a 5-0 lead early in the second half.

“I get nervous (on a breakaway), and I have definitely have slipped up a few times, I just try to stay calm and hit (one) of the corners,” Taub said.

Bisher said the Red Eddies showed improvement in the second half.

“I thought we played pretty well in the second half, we had some good chances going,” Bisher said. “At times, we played good creative, combination soccer and had good team passing. It was the lack of consistency for 80 minutes we need to improve on.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.