LISBON — A single-family house on Lisbon Street was damaged in a fire Wednesday night, leaving at least two people without a home.

Neither of the two people in the house at the time of the fire was injured, Lisbon Fire Chief Nate LeClair said.

According to her Facebook page, Tanya Groves was renting the single-family home at 220 Lisbon St. Her adult children, Julie and Cory Groves, were in the house at the time of the fire just after 8 p.m.

Tanya Groves and her daughter are staying in a local hotel, according to Facebook.

The fire started after a man fell asleep while smoking in a second-floor bedroom, according to LeClair. The man was able to get out on his own, but a woman in a wheelchair on the first floor required assistance from Lisbon police.

Fire crews were able to douse the fire following an aggressive attack, LeClair said. Lewiston and Topsham fire departments provided mutual aid.

Because the man closed the bedroom door as he escaped the house, fire damage was limited to the bedroom. The rest of the second floor sustained smoke and heat damage.

“This is a case where things could have been much worse,” LeClair said. Had the bedroom door not been closed, the fire would have spread further.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: