OTISFIELD — A couple was burned out of their home Friday afternoon after a fire started near the home’s dryer.

According to Otisfield Fire Chief Kyle Jordan, the fire at 461 Bean Road was reported at 1 p.m.

“The first arriving crews were able to cool the fire down from the outside very quickly,” he said, “until additional crews could arrive and they could make an interior attack.”

As soon as firefighters arrived from Oxford, Norway, Casco and Harrison, they were able to access what Jordan called the “fire room” and extinguish the fire. He said there was significant fire, smoke and water damage to the home, making it impossible for the couple to continue living there.

Jordan called the Red Cross to help the couple find temporary housing.

He said the initial investigation indicates that the fire started somewhere around the dryer, and the homeowner indicated she was doing laundry when the fire started.

There were no injuries, Jordan said.

In addition to the firefighters battling the fire, Jordan said a crew from Poland was on its way to help when the fire was brought under control.
Jordan declined to identify the couple who lived in the home, but according to Otisfield tax records, the land is owned by Brittany Sullivan and Karen Bundy of Lewiston and the home is owned by Lynn and Travis Waugh.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: