LEWISTON — Ole FC ended the first half strong and carried the momentum into the second half.

The Ansonia, Connecticut-based semiprofessional soccer team defeated Wahda FC of Lewiston 3-2 in a United Premier Soccer League game at Don Roux Field.

“I think we played well. We created several chances, and we scored a very nice goal at the end, but two or three minutes later, we got scored on,” Ole FC coach Joao Garcia said. “I think we dominated the first half of the game, and in the second half, we were able to capitalize very early on, but we didn’t put away the fourth goal, which allowed them to stay in the game.”

Ole FC (3-1-1) had the early territorial advantage in the first half, but could not get the ball past Wadha FC goalkeeper Tshimanga Lumu.

Mardoche Kikobo, right, of Wahda United FC competes for the ball with Lucas Castrillo of Ole FC during Sunday’s game in Lewiston. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

As the half continued, Wahda (1-3-1) got some offensive pressure, including a 35-yard free kick that missed the mark. It also had a 29-yard free kick that went over the crossbar.

Both teams found the back of the net late in the first half when Josemar Guimaraes De Silva gave Ole FC a 1-0 lead in the 33rd minute. Wahda responded three minutes later when Ordi Nganzobo created a turnover in the box and his shot beat the Ole FC goalkeeper Jose Junior.


Luis Felipe scored off a turnover in the final minutes of the first half, giving Ole FC a 2-1 lead.

“I wasn’t worried when we were down 2-1,” Wahda FC coach Abdijabar Hersi said. “It was more let’s get in control of the game and catching our rhythm. That’s what I was more focused on. Can we get tempo? Can we get our own rhythm? And can we get our own possession time? The third goal kind of killed it.”

Ole FC carried the momentum early into the second off. Gustavo Bergmann sent the ball into the 18-yard box and it beat Luma to extend the lead to 3-1.

After the game, Bergmann said he was not sure he had gotten credit for the goal or if it went to teammate Rilwan FHW, who might have touched the ball it crossed the goal line.

“I think it touched (Rilwan FHW), but if it didn’t, it was my goal,” Bergmann said. “I am glad to help with an assist. It’s the second assist in a row, so I am very happy.”

The official scoring had Bergmann scoring.


Wahda United FC coach Abdijabar Hersi talks with members of his team prior to the start of Sunday’s game at Lewiston High School. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal

Ole FC had a few chances to put the game out of reach as the second half continued.

“We had one breakaway that hit the post and one that hit the crossbar,” Garcia said, “and one chance that just didn’t go in off a corner kick.”

Wahda had a free kick in the 65th minute, but Abdifatah Yussuf’s shot attempt from 20 yards out was blocked.

Tiago Honorio Junior had a chance to extend Ole FC’s lead in the 82nd minute, but his shot hit the crossbar.

Maxwell McKersie got Wahda within a goal when he scored well within the 18-yard box.

“I think it was a sense of urgency, down two goals,” Hersi said of the game’s final 15 minutes. “I took chances and pushed the guys up (the field) and moved some guys around. I think that helped a little bit, the movement of positions. The other team, they did well in the beginning. I just wished we started like we finished the game, with the urgency of playing fast, playing quick.”

Related Headlines

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: