Cape Elizabeth’s reign is over.

Falmouth’s might be just getting started.

Friday evening at Fitzpatrick Stadium, the top-ranked Navigators didn’t just dethrone their longtime nemesis, they did so emphatically in the Class A boys’ lacrosse state championship game. Four goals from sophomore Hayden Davis helped open a 5-1 lead after one quarter, then Falmouth added five goals in the second quarter and endured a long weather delay before completing an 18-5 victory.

Davis led the way with six goals. After four straight losses in the state final, including two to the Capers in recent seasons, the Navigators (16-1) earned their first Class A title and the fourth championship in program history.

“I don’t think I foresaw that score, but I wasn’t nervous and it wasn’t from a place of cockiness,” said Falmouth Coach Dave Barton. “I didn’t know how it would happen, but that it would happen. We’ve said all year, it’s (Cape’s) until somebody takes it, and deep down, we knew we could be that team.”

After the teams played two one-goal games in the regular season, most expected the state final to go down to the wire, but Falmouth roared out of the gate. Led by four goals from Davis and one from Gio Guerrette, the Navigators put the three-time defending state champions in a steep early hole.


“I think it was the boys and the bench and the energy,” said Davis. “It was just our time to shine and we proved it today. I think we moved the ball really well and it set me up. The offense just clicked.”

Davis added two goals early in the second quarter as the Navigators never let the Capers (13-4) get close, even though University of Delaware-bound senior standout Keegan Lathrop scored twice.

Goals from Joey Guerrette and defender Indi Backman helped the Navigators take a 10-4 advantage to the halftime break.

While Falmouth’s offense was prolific, its defense and goalie Cam Sinclair (12 saves) also stood tall.

“He’s the best,” Backman said of Sinclair. “I have 1,000 percent confidence in him. The defense didn’t give them a goose-egg, but we did really well.”

Any Cape Elizabeth comeback hopes were quickly dashed in the third quarter, as Sinclair stopped shots from Ben Gordon and Lathrop, then Gio Guerrette scored twice and Cole Allan got another to make it 13-4 before lightning was spotted with 6:31 to go in third quarter.


After a delay of 1 hour, 16 minutes, Cape’s Aidan Connolly scored 11 seconds after resumption, but his team wouldn’t score again. Goals from Ian Christie, Evan Yale, Joey Guerrette and TJ Saulter induced the mercy-rule running clock.

Allan accounted for the final goal with 1:55 remaining.

“It’s something we wanted forever,” said Allan. “I wanted it this year way more than any other year. I couldn’t be more thankful.”

Davis had three assists in addition to his six goals, while Gio Guerrette and Joey Guerrette added three goals apiece. Eight players scored for the Navigators.

Lathrop ended his school career with two goals, and Connolly, Will Picarillo and Alex van Huystee also scored for the Capers. Michael Foley made 12 saves.

“I think we’ve been overachieving for a couple of weeks,” said Ben Raymond, Cape Elizabeth’s longtime coach. “We did an excellent job to get ourselves in this situation. We just got off to a slow start. I think it’s more about them than it was about us. They’re a better team than we are right now, without a doubt.”

Comments are no longer available on this story