WINTHROP – The ongoing dispute over a new teachers’ contract in Jay has had far-reaching consequences, even spilling over to the school’s biggest basketball rival.
Steve Hamilton, who vacated the Jay boys’ varsity job in August due to the lack of a new teaching contract, was introduced to players and parentsas the new varsity boys’ basketball coach at Winthrop High School on Thursday night.
Hamilton replaces Tom Hill, who led the Ramblers to a 36-7 record in his two years at Winthrop.
While Hamilton had to introduce himself to folks in Winthrop last night, it was two Winthrop basketball players, Matt McCarthy and Joey Burnham, who got the ball rolling by introducing themselves to Hamilton at a Winthrop/Jay football game back in October.
“They looked me in the eye and they said, ‘We’re good kids. We basically lost a lot of talent. We lost nine players, but we’ll work hard for you and be no-nonsense,'” Hamilton said. “I watched the game and went home and said to (wife) Donna, ‘You wouldn’t believe the bizarre thing that happened to me tonight.’ “
But the more Hamilton thought about it, the less bizarre the idea of coaching Winthrop became.
“Those kids had a real impact on me,” he said. “I was pretty impressed.”
Hamilton contacted Winthrop AD Jeff DeBlois, and after several conversations, he interviewed for the job.
“We’ve had quite a reputation here, and we’ve had a pretty good basketball program forever,” said DeBlois. “Those are tough shoes to fill, but to get somebody with the kind of experience and success he’s had at the varsity level, we’re very pleased. He’s a known commodity, and good coaches don’t come out of the woodwork these days.”
Jay went 31-12 in Hamilton’s two years there. In his first season, he led the Tigers to the school’s first Class C title in 18 years. Last season, with only one starter back from the gold ball-winning team, the Tigers finished 12-8 and lost to Hall-Dale in the Western Class C quarterfinals.
Winthrop succeeded Jay as Western C champion last year, but they lost the state title game to George Stevens Academy. The Ramblers graduated nine players from that team, including three McDonald’s All-Stars. By contrast, Hamilton is leaving a Jay team that is expected to return nine players from last season.
“It’s quite a challenge. I know that. I gave up a really good team at Jay,” he said. “The challenge is what really intrigues me about this thing.”
Adding to the intigue is the new gymnasium where the Ramblers will play their home games this season. Hamilton said he would like to coach the first team to bring a Gold Ball to its new home. Joining Hamilton on his staff will be his son, Brad, who acted as one of his assistants at Jay, and Tom Tucker, a former varsity football and JV basketball coach, who is returning to coach the JVs again this year.
Hamilton expressed regret that he had to leave Jay, where teachers have resigned more than 90 co-curricular and committee positions in protest over a contract dispute that has raged since the old contract ran out in August 2002.
“I didn’t resign my position. I wanted to coach, but the contract situation just didn’t allow me,” he said. “I’m a man of my word. I’ve lived in that town for a long time and coached in that town and had three kids go through that school system, and I just could not turn my back on my neighbors and friends. This was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make.”
Hamilton, 54, continues to teach history at Jay High School. He said he hasn’t spoken to his former players about the move, though he’s sure they’re aware of it.
“I see them individually out and about in the school, and I’ve always had good relationships with them,” he said. “I figured at this point because they’re having meetings and getting ready to meet their new coach (see related story) that they didn’t really need that distraction.”
Comments are no longer available on this story