BOSTON (AP) – A clerk magistrate has delayed for one day his decision on whether to issue charges against two New York Yankees who fought with a Fenway Park groundskeeper during a playoff game.
Clerk Magistrate Michael Neighbors will issue his ruling Thursday in Roxbury District Court, said Bruce Brock, a spokesman for the state courts. Neighbors, who had initially scheduled the hearing for Wednesday, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Boston police have said Yankee reliever Jeff Nelson and right fielder Karim Garcia assaulted Paul Williams, a part-time groundskeeper who teaches special education at a New Hampshire middle school, during the ninth inning of New York’s 4-3 win in Game 3 of the AL championship series on Oct. 11.
In a hearing last week, Nelson said Williams provoked the fight by bumping him and spitting in his face after Nelson asked him to stop rooting for the Red Sox in the New York bullpen.
Williams said Nelson grabbed his shirt – and he didn’t think cheering for a team was provoking an assault.
Garcia did not appear at last week’s hearing.
Neighbors is also considering a cross-complaint filed by Nelson’s lawyer seeking counter charges against Williams.
AP-ES-12-16-03 1400EST
Comments are no longer available on this story