The deal helps Notre Dame keep its football independence.
NEW YORK (AP) – Notre Dame renewed its television contract with NBC on Thursday, agreeing to a five-year deal worth about $9 million a year.
The contract will help Notre Dame keep its independence in football. Athletic director Kevin White said last month that the school would “monitor the landscape” in terms of joining a conference, but Notre Dame has always valued being an independent.
The deal, worth about the same as the previous contract, gives NBC exclusive rights to Notre Dame football home games through 2010. NBC has broadcast Irish games since 1991.
“The ability to have our home football games telecast on a national basis becomes a tremendous vehicle for us in maintaining a national visibility and platform in terms of our football program’s profile and recruiting,” White said in a statement.
Notre Dame went 5-7 this season, contributing to just a 2.4 rating per game on NBC.
– tied with 2001 for the lowest in its 13 years on the network.
AP-ES-12-18-03 1738EST
Comments are no longer available on this story