3 min read

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Warren Sapp is running out of patience with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A week into free agency, the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle has yet to receive a contract proposal from the only team he’s played for and is ready to begin talking to other clubs.

“There are 31 other teams in the NFL,” agent Drew Rosenhaus said Tuesday.

Rosenhaus said although Bucs general manager Bruce Allen repeatedly has intimated that re-signing Sapp is a priority that the team nevertheless has not made an offer to the 31-year-old tackle while aggressively pursuing other players in free agency.

The Bucs have signed eight players in the past week – all but one on offense – and also spent time courting former San Francisco quarterback Jeff Garcia, Philadelphia running back Duce Staley and Washington receiver Patrick Johnson.

Allen signed former Oakland running back Charlie Garner to a four-year, $10 million deal Tuesday and didn’t sound as if he’s in a rush to get Sapp’s situation resolved.

“He’s a free agent. He has some interest, (Rosenhaus) said, from some teams and it sounds like it might heat up in the next week or so for him,” Allen said.

Does that mean it’ll heat up for the Bucs, too?

“I said for him,” the GM replied, later adding, “I’m not going to start saying when I will or when I won’t make offers.”

Sapp, who is two sacks shy of becoming Tampa Bay’s all-time sack leader, said last week that he remained optimistic about the prospect remaining with the Bucs.

That confidence was based on his desire to stay in Tampa, a willingness to be flexible on contract terms and the belief that Allen and coach Jon Gruden want him back, too.

“I’m very biased to Warren Sapp.,” Gruden said. “At the same time, there’s a business side of pro football that I’m probably better off leaving alone.”

Rosenhaus said several teams have expressed interest in the 1999 NFL defensive player of the year but have been timid in their approach because they are uncertain about whether Sapp is open to leaving.

“Teams want to know whether he is willing to go elsewhere, and the answer is yes. We want to make that clear,” Rosenhaus said. “I’m not saying that’s his preference. I’m not saying he wants to leave. I’m saying that in all probability that’s what’s going to happen, based on the way the Bucs have approached this.”

Sapp, who made $6.6 million in 2003 in the final season of a six-year, $36 million contract, said earlier this month that he feels he can continue to play at a high level for four more years.

The Bucs cut five players and restructured the contracts of linebacker Derrick Brooks and offensive lineman Kerry Jenkins to create room under the NFL’s $80.6 million salary cap to pursue free agents.

Rosenhaus would not speculate on why the Bucs have been hesitant to make an offer, but did say Allen has cited salary cap constraints as an obstacle to making the kind of proposal the general manager feels Sapp deserves.

In addition to Garner, the Bucs have signed offensive linemen Derrick Deese, Matt Stinchcomb and Matt O’Dwyer, tight ends Rickey Dudley and Dave Moore, fullback Greg Comella and linebacker Keith Burns since the start of free agency.

AP-ES-03-09-04 1830EST

Comments are no longer available on this story